Sunday, January 29, 2012

My Way of Life & Saint Thomas Aquinas

Yesterday was the Feast of Saint Thomas Aquinas.  St. Thomas is our patron saint for the school year, when it was time to select a new saint, I just didn't want to part with him.  His philosophy and theology is so much like ours that he's the perfect match for us.  If you have ever read the Summa, you know how deeply spiritual it is.  Some people have a really hard time with it (like me), others don't (like my husband).  He gave me a great book called My Way of Life: Pocket Edition of St. Thomas - The Summa Simplified for Everyone, I highly recommend it.

My favorite hymn is Tantum Ergo, and until yesterday, I didn't know that St. Thomas wrote it!  This beautiful hymn is really only a part of St. Thomas Aquinas' hymn "Pange Lingua Gloriosi". Nevertheless, "Tantum Ergo" is a praiseworthy hymn of praise; it is a great reminder of the beauty and healing power of Eucharistic Adoration.  Yet another link between this great Saint and our little family:  the love for the Holy Eucharist!  Here are the words to this beautiful hymn:

Tantum ergo Sacramentum
Veneremur cernui:
Et antiquum documentum
Novo cedat ritui:
Praestet fides supplementum
Sensuum defectui.

Genitori, Genitoque
Laus et jubilatio,
Salus, honor, virtus quoque
Sit et benedictio:
Procedenti ab utroque
Compar sit laudatio.
Amen.





Have a beautiful Sunday with your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment